Reel Recovery: Texas & Oklahoma Region
REEL RECOVERY is a national non-profit organization that conducts free fly-fishing retreats for men recovering from cancer. Their purpose is to help men in the recovery process by sharing with them the healing powers of the sport of fly-fishing, while providing a safe, supportive environment to explore personal experiences with cancer, with others who share their stories.
Last weekend I attended a Reel Recovery Retreat in Glen Rise, Texas. I was a “buddy” for Mark, a cancer survivor, who had very limited fly fishing experience. With a little coaching, Mark was soon on top of his game and this wonderful relaxing sport. If he was experiencing difficulty with his bout with cancer, it was soon forgotten and Mark was totally immersed in the joys of fly fishing. I don’t know who enjoyed the retreat more, me or Mark! It was a delight watching Mark catch fish!
- Provide a safe, reflective environment for the participants to discuss their disease and recovery with other men with shared experiences, thereby providing support and information to help them in their recovery.
- Provide expert fly-fishing instruction that enables the participants to learn a new skill, form a healing connection with nature, and participate in a sport they can continue throughout their recovery and lifetime.
- Provide participants information about cancer-related resources, both in the local community and nationally to facilitate networking and enhanced management of their recovery.
A Reel Recovery volunteer and member of the Texas Fly Fishers in Houston initiated the request to make a quilt to the Tri County Quilters Guild in Cypress. They graciously accepted and hand made an 88” X 98 “Fly Fishing theme Quilt and donated it to the Texas Chapter to help raise funds for our four 2015 retreats. The Guild has done donation quilts for other organizations including Casting For Recovery.
Since this is such a unique gift, we decided to offer tickets to clubs and individuals interested in participating as well as display it at GRTU Trout Fest in Feb., Athens Fly Fish Texas in March and several other events in the Houston area.
Tickets are $10 each and the drawing will be held on May 26, 2015. We are hoping to raise over $2,000.
SCHEDULED 2015 RETREATS
- 2015 Spring:
- Glen Rose, TX (April 10-12)
- Boerne, TX (April 24-26)
- Broken Bow, OK (May 3-5)
- 2015 Fall:
- Broken Bow, OK (Sept. 27-29)
- Navasota, TX (Oct. 9-11)
- Glen Rose, TX (Oct. 23-25)
SCHEDULED 2015 EVENTS
- Reel Recovery QUILT Tickets Sale- Jan 1-May 25,2015 -Drawing May 26, 2015
- GRTU Trout Fest Booth -need volunteers to man RR Booth Feb 20-22, 2015
- Athens Fly Fish Texas -need volunteers to man RR Booth March 14, 2015
- IFFF Texas Conclave -need volunteers to man RR Booth May 30-31, 2015
- John Henderson Memorial Classic Sporting Clay Shoot -August 22, 2015- Need Shooters, Sponsors, Silent Auction Items, and volunteers to help organize and run event.