Reel Recovery: Texas & Oklahoma Region
REEL RECOVERY is a national non-profit organization that conducts free fly-fishing retreats for men recovering from cancer. Their purpose is to help men in the recovery process by sharing with them the healing powers of the sport of fly-fishing, while providing a safe, supportive environment to explore personal experiences with cancer, with others who share their stories.
Last weekend I attended a Reel Recovery Retreat in Glen Rise, Texas. I was a “buddy” for Mark, a cancer survivor, who had very limited fly fishing experience. With a little coaching, Mark was soon on top of his game and this wonderful relaxing sport. If he was experiencing difficulty with his bout with cancer, it was soon forgotten and Mark was totally immersed in the joys of fly fishing. I don’t know who enjoyed the retreat more, me or Mark! It was a delight watching Mark catch fish!
- Provide a safe, reflective environment for the participants to discuss their disease and recovery with other men with shared experiences, thereby providing support and information to help them in their recovery.
- Provide expert fly-fishing instruction that enables the participants to learn a new skill, form a healing connection with nature, and participate in a sport they can continue throughout their recovery and lifetime.
- Provide participants information about cancer-related resources, both in the local community and nationally to facilitate networking and enhanced management of their recovery.
- 2014 Fall:
- Broken Bow, OK (Oct. 5-7)
- Glen Rose, TX (Oct. 24-26)
- 2015 Spring:
- Glen Rose, TX (April 17-19)
- Boerne, TX (April 24-26)
- Broken Bow, OK (May 17-19)
- 2015 Fall:
- Broken Bow, OK (Oct. 4-6)
- Navasota, TX (Oct. 9-11)
- Glen Rose, TX (Oct. 23-25)